Given the CDC’s recommendation regarding social distancing and the state of emergency declared in Allegany County, the church leadership has decided the following:
1. In-person Church services and activities will be suspended until further notice. This includes Book group and Sunday School.
2. Outside groups using the Church Center facilities may continue to meet if they choose to do so but it will be at their own risk as we have no means of ensuring sterilization of the building.
Until we are able to resume in-person services:
1. On Sunday mornings, Laurie will post/host some sort of abbreviated service that will include prayer concerns, suggestions of ways to reach out to other members during the week, and a sermon or reflection. This will be available live by invitation through Zoom, and the recording will be posted by noon to Youtube, Facebook, and on this site (see Sermon dropdown menu.)
2. We have set up an online forum site for members to share prayer concerns, needs, and updates, and talk with one another. This is by invitation only to ensure privacy of members so if you wish to join, email Rev. DeMott at RevDeMott@gmaill.com
3. Laurie will record continuing episodes of her “Bible Stories” podcast series she offered over the summer and make these available for the children. You can find those at: http://uuc.libsyn.com/webpage/category/bible+stories
4. Groups and youth group will meet using the Zoom app.
5. For those who are unable use online material, we will mail out a printed version of the prayer concerns, news, and the sermon of the week.
6. Lana Meissner will be in the office during her normal office hours — Wednesday and Thursday 1-4 — and Laurie will be available as always by appointment.
7. We encourage you to mail your pledges and offerings to the Church Center.
8. We ask people to continue to write letters for our Lenten project to obtain justice on behalf of Ding Jiaxi. Click here to go to the page we have dedicated to his situation with information on letter writing and other actions you can take.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness …
Worshiping at 10:30 am on Sunday mornings at 8 Church St. in the village of Alfred, NY, we are a community church for people of all denominations. Our members are committed to listening to one another’s ideas and faith experiences, our children and youth are cherished and integrated into the total life of the church, and service to the community and world is a foundation of our ministry.
Children and youth attend the first part of worship and then are invited to participate in Sunday School until 11:30 am. Nursery care is available for infants and pre-schoolers. There is also a Parent’s Room with a window to the sanctuary where parents can take their children to play or nap while they listen to the service.
In view of our diverse religious backgrounds, we alternate monthly between pew and chalice communion, and offer families the choice between dedication or baptism for infants, and baptism by immersion or confirmation for youth.
Our services and structure are congregational in style. The diverse religious backgrounds of our multi-denominational membership foster an openness is exchange of ideas and faith experiences that contribute to our growth together as a community and in our individual call to serve Christ in our lives. Meaningful sermons challenge us to live the way God wants us to live.
Union University Church Sample Worship Bulletin
Please contact us with questions: